Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Herastrau Park

So what do you know, its been two three days since i wanted to write this, but i just never got around to it. Now, let me get to the point. I usually walk my dog every morning during the weekend, in Herastrau. For the past few weekends its been interesting because there were several cross country races. By the way, I walk my dog fairly early in the morning to avoid the crazy rush.
These races seemed to bring over a lot of international people. Last Saturday as I was sitting on the bench admiring the beautiful lake and keeping a close eye on the dog, a couple with a baby in a stroller came and asked me if I can tell them the way out of the park. I was delighted to help them out especially since I had to use the English language which i miss so much. So I explained to quicker way out, but unfortunately this also wanted to catch a cab. So the quickest way out was not really the best way, so instead of explaining which routes to take in order to get to the main entrance/exist area I decided to walk out with them. Really nice couple, over 30, that seems Spanish for at first glance, but them I realized they were from the Middle East. Anyway, we walked around and talked. it was the wife's and the daughter's first trip to Bucharest. The husband works here periodically so he knows the city a little. The wife was amaized at the beautiful flowers in the park. Indeed it's been years since the park has been so clean, so full of flowers and grass. The point is that she said the park is way more beautiful than Central Park in New York. Wow! I was very surprized. I havent seen the park from NY, but I was happy to see tourists enjoying Bucharest. It seemed rather strange, because I only heard complaints: the strays, the garbage, the traffic,...but hey OUR PARK ROCKS! Doesnt that just feel wonderful?
It certainly makes me feel awesome, not that I had any part in making it look that way. well I do clean after my dog, and I do pick up the trash people throw on the ground, but that's not even a quarter of what the gardeners do in the park. They should know that their work is appreciated!
Not only by tourists, but also by the hundreds of people who stroll there and take pictures. I dont remember ever seeing people take pictures in the park with the flowers before this year, and I've been in that park since i was 2 years old, minus the years I was away from home.
PEOPLE keep the park CLEAN!

No comments: