Tuesday, May 13, 2008

On Human Resources

I've been working on selecting, interviewing and hiring people for over three years.
I dont have a degree attached to this job im going, except for my dimished in size psychological
background. I started out being an optimist, a true believer in people, in their good nature, trustworthiness, common sense. Now looking back on these years, I noticed the long line of events: people not showing up for interviews without even calling, people being constantly late, people lieing in their resumes, people saying and promising a thing and then backing up....I used to look at a person and feel like I could trust them; trust their capability to judge the job at hand, its risks, its responsibilities, its rewards, its challenges, its opportunities for growth and development....But trusting such a thing was wrong...people rarely really take time to consider all of these....they just see the money, is there more? yes, check.. they jump the boat without prior consideration to whether or not they can really do the job. They realize they cant, then jump out at the next stop, 3 months later. What a waste of time! For both...us and them....but they dont loose anything except time, badly spent, because now they can ask for a better salary and they can pretend they have some newly acquired experience.

So from the optimist I started out, I ended up now, a new strong skepticist. I except them to be late, and not even show up. Im sometimes suprised when they come on time. They dont renegotiate the already negociated wage? OMG...he must be a looser of some sorts. When everything looks fine I cant stop wondering when and from where is the problem going to arise.
Is it going to be easily fixed? or did we just hire one of those "3 months guys"
Can you picture paying someone a huge wage monthly so that you get to teach them how to write and email, answer a phone, use word and excel? There's always the box: "how well do you know the English language?" "advanced" is always check out, the first time a conversation needs to be had in English, guess what? "I havent practiced in years!" or " I only know how to write" or "I just had English classes in high school - 6 yrs ago"... WHAT?
My head hunting liaison told me "sales people tend to exaggerate a bit to sell themselves well"....well from exaggerating to blatenly lieing there is a fine line?? Since when? What happened to being honest? When did that become a faux-pas? I understand we all need to present ourselves well, but turning the truth into something else besides a well spelled, well worded, and well presented truth is just something useless. Why do candidates try to con employers? There is a lack of candidates anyhow, how much more advantage can you get. Really now? Besides the fact that the employee has all the advantages and the employer is never ever protected, they get to hire again and again and again the wrong people for the job! why? because they lie!!!
A guy came in and sat with me at an interview....and i offered him a fair, above the average level salary for the position and he complained he need more because he has an outstanding credit at a bank....the guy had alligator boots on and something that looked like an armani suit and tie and cufflings. REALLY??? credit for what? personal needs?

I just hate liers...I cant say I hate anything else in this world except people who lie!

2 comments:

scatteredbrain said...

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/

d`aici scuza ca "nu l-am vazut dom`le"...nu vezi ceea ce nu cauti!
sa incerci sa numeri...e si fun!

scz ca-s offtopic da` am vazut treaba cu motociclistii acl si..am zis ca ti-ar placea asta.

whiteplum911 said...

Mersi! chiar ca mi-a placut! :P