Monday, May 12, 2008

On Recycling

I love recycling! I used to be environmental efficient in college...which felt great! Here, after i trained and hussled with my work colleagues to put paper and other junk in different bins, i descovered that even though they went out separately the company picking up the garbage would mix them together. Why? Why do they collect boxes for recycling but not paper? Do they even actually recycle those - the carbon boxes? At home its easier, I did manage to convince everyone to put plastic bottles in a separate bag and each week or so, I take it down to this place that is a few blocks away from my home where they do collect plastic. They keep offering me money for it, which is funny....people here need incentives in order to recycle? That's wrong! I wonder when we will be able to separate plastic, paper and alimentary junk, like other countries do. At least I know that plastic is for use reused here, which is great....but what about paper? Besides the fact that we waste so much of it, in a true paper factory (outside Ro) paper is reused 13 times, and after that used as energy source. Did you know that paper factories in the Netherlands, Sweden, etc are obligated by the state to plant 5 to 10 more trees when they cut 1 tree down?!
Did you know in Viena the City Hall is the biggest realestate investor? The Viena city hall buys off different kinds of lands in the city, in order to create parks, and green spaces. What do we do here? The city hall cant wait to sell land...and I wont even go deeper into other issues.
I know there are lots of people fighting for Delta Dunarii and other natural treasures, but we need to common people to support in the efforts. Nobody asks them to volunteer but do recycle people!!! Its for your own kids that you are doing it! For clean air, for greener pastures in Bucharest,........for your own peace of mind! There is a company that picks up paper for recycling.....you do need to collect a sizeable amount, but it is duable, especially in the work place. Think of the hundreds of kilos of paper a company uses daily..
A few months ago at work I noticed a lady who was throwing away empty printer cartridges.
I asked her how many they're throwing away on a daily bases....well that number reaches around 10 once in 3 weeks....Its a building company so im not even going to think at how many pages that means, but I was really put off by her ignorance....She said it wasnt her call if they get in the trash or recycled. Even though I insisted on how easy it is to contact the company who buys off empty cartridges, (and they even get money for it!!!) they never did. They keep throwing them in with the "normal" trash. :(
Why are so many associations for the protection of stray dogs that go to the streets, and no associations to protect our environment! More people need to be aware! More services should be covered for recycling to become a second nature to all of us...Well will that day come?

No comments: